You better believe this ! There are over 3000 Chinese eateries in Mumbai City ! from small tuck in Joints to huge impressive decor and hugely expensive restaurants in 5 star Hotels
Have Tried 5 Spices, Flamboyante , Nankings, Chopsticks,Golden Dragon at Hotel Taj Mahal,Shanghai at ITC Grand Central in Parel,Main Mainland China in Andheri,Sampan at Hotel Novotel ,CG’s 83 at Kemps Corner ( earlier the Famous China Garden of Nelson Wang)and many others in Mumbai & Pune ~ even at all the leading Clubs in Mumbai and Pune ~ Mings at Colaba was my fav for the Buddhas Delight,the Pot Soup that served six and the lovely Pepper in Oil accompaniment ~ alas it shut down !
It’s a Myth that Big is Better or that More Expensive is Better Food !
As a Foodie,I’m always looking out for Quality Food, made with Quality Hygiene,Quality and Fresh Ingredients, by Quality Chefs at Quality Prices !
A Friend Owns the Popular Order In Chain of ‘Mr Chows’ and has been asking me to try it ~ says to just call him and he will plan the Feast ~ Planning to take him up on this soon
If any of you out there recommend I try some Chinese Restaurant in Mumbai or Pune for awesome Vegetarian ,then do let me know and also what Dish should I try there specifically ! ~ and if I like it and do not experience any stomach ache unless of course I love it and overeat ! then I may just reward you with a scrip recommendation that will cure your Aching Portfolio ! ~ Cheers !
I begin by offering Some Advice as to how to Order your Chinese meal and also stating my Menu Preferences before I list my Top 10 Chinese Restaurants in Mumbai (Eight) and Pune(One) and Bengaluru(One)
Some advice to add Value to Your Chinese Veg Meal and so you Order well and enjoy your Meal:
- Ask the Steward taking your Order to instruct the Kitchen and the Chef to avoid the standard Chinese ingredient, Ajino Moto Salt or if they use it,to do so very mildly
- Rice or Noodles are staple with the Main Course ~ Check around the table who prefers what and order accordingly ~ look for menu variety in these staples
- Always inquire with the Steward on the Size of Helpings and order accordingly ~ if unsure it’s prudent to order a single helping before deciding to order a second ~ this will avoid carrying Doggy bags back home as Chinese Food is best enjoyed Fresh~ in fact,as a policy, many good restaurants will not pack a Doggy Bag for you for the leftovers as the quality of Food may deteriorate if preserved too long,even if refrigerated,and not consumed fresh and at the right temperature
- Request the Steward to suggest Some Dishes,even off the Menu, that the Restaurant may be famous for and prepare for regular patrons ~ like White Buns and a French Beans Special by CGs
- Tell the Steward how you like your Soup or Main Course and he will suggest accordingly ~ For instance if you like a Thick Soup Like I do,then don’t order a Light or Clear Soup ~ Inquire off the Steward if unsure of the Nature and Type of the Dish on the Menu ~ However ensure you’re not tricked into ordering the most expensive dish on the menu! ~you will experience such psychological manipulation by Stewards at many restaurants ! ~ they are trained for this so don’t grudge them the effort !
- Be Sure of the Sauce you want the Dish to be made in ~ safer to stay with a light non spicy or less spicy sauce as the Black Beans or Sczhewan may be too spicy and will ruin your Dish ~ Be gracious but don’t be too accommodating even to someone with you who enjoys spicy Szchewan ~ Once I had to down a full litre of water to calm my tongue !
- Be Adventurous ! ~ Try at least one Dish you have never tried before ! ~ you may just discover something special
- Sharing Dishes would make it Cheaper and don’t feel embarrassed or awkward to instruct the Steward to make the Soup 1 by 2 ~ that’s one order of Soup being shared by Two and therefore served in two separate Bowls ~ The Soup Helping at Noodle Bar is quite Large and can easily be shared by Two rather than ordering two Separate Helpings of the Same Soup
- Return the Dish ,without making a Fuss,if you find it too salty,or spicy or stale or undercooked or smelling of or containing Non Vegetarian Ingredients ~ often the kitchen area is not separate for cooking Veg and Non Veg Food and so Stirring Ladles and Frying Woks could be common to cook both ~ Once a leading Restaurant served me a Sea Food Soup and the Manager insisted they were Mushrooms and not Sea Food pieces ! ~ Walked out for their attitude~ other Tables too sympathised ~ it really was seafood !
- Avoid eating of Chinese Food Carts that are all over the town ~ Food may look and be tasty and cheap ~ but the preparation and cleaning hygiene is poor and you may encounter a bout of food poisoning ~ I’ve seen how they cut cabbage and carrots and spring onions on the road and the water they use to clean these and how used bowls and plates and spoons and forks are simply immersed in a bucket of water once or twice and quickly pulled out and wiped to serve another ! ~ a survey had revealed that nine out of ten such Chinese Food Carts there was some intensity of food poisoning involved ~ mostly semolina due to the quality of noodles used ~ this does not mean you may never get food poisoning at a good restaurant !
Soup ~ I Prefer Thick Soups rather than Clear Light Soups ~When I was a kid,loved Sweet Corn Plain,migrated to Sweet Corn Vegetable ~occasionally yet have them~ then the Manchow and Hot and Pepper ~ now love the Veg Lung Fung Soup ~ alas can find it well made now only by Smoking Lees, just like Nelson Wang of China Garden Fame made it ~ If I was Sick this was one taste that could cure and revive me ! ~ most use cubes that have non veg stock to make this soup,but not Smoking Lees ~ a well made Veg Clear Soup,Lemon Coriander Soup or a Pepper Soup ( Noodles Bar) too is quite delightful….
Starters ~Freshly baked Soft White Buns, Crackling Spinach,Cripy Corn,Corn Cream,Old Time fav Spring Rolls,Steamed and Pan Fried Wontons , Dim Sums , K P Chow ( no one can match Nelson Wang of China Garden Fame for this one ! ~ it’s deep fried vegetables in spicy soya sauce ),Hakka Mushroom with Spring Onions,Hakka or Chilli Paneer,Garlic Chilli or Straw Potatoes…..